All about fat reduction treatments
Before discussing fat reduction, it is important to point out that these treatments can never replace the hard way – exercising and diet. They can never other than “spot-reduce” fat.
Non surgical fat reduction or surgical liposuction isn’t a good alternative for those who suffer from general obesity. But these methods can work well for those who already are in a good shape.
There are a range of different treatments for fat reduction. They all promise fast and comprehensive results but one thing should be clear. Non surgical fat reduction treatments can never replace surgical liposuction in terms of results.
It destroys fat cells or empties the tissue
There is an insulating and protective energy depot between the skin and inner body in the form of a layer of fat. The fat has different thickness on different parts of the body.
A fat reduction treatment is aimed at reducing the volume of fat tissue. It can be put in two ways, either it destroys fat cells or empties the tissue of fluid and waste products.
The advantage of destroying fat cells is that the result is permanent. However, by emptying the tissue, you can expect it soon to be filled again unless regular treatments or a comprehensive lifestyle change occur.
Treatment options for fat reduction
There are many different fat reduction treatments to choose between, but they all are based on one or more of these techniques: freezing, radiation, massage or injections.
1. Cooling down – fat cells freeze to death
The adipose tissue is more sensitive to cold than other tissue, by cooling down the cells in the fat tissue can cause them to crystallize and then die.
Treatments in U.K. with fat freezing techniques are offered under the names of:
- CoolSculpting ®
- LipoCryo ®
- CoolContour ®
The technique that is used is called Cryolipolysis. It works and can reduce fat by up to 20% per treatment. For more information about each treatment, click on the links above.
2. Connective Tissue Massage – emptying and stimulates adipose tissue
Deep and powerful massage called connective tissue massage has been shown to drain the fat tissue in liquid, fatty acids and waste products. That way you can achieve slimming effect, reduce cellulite and tighten saggy skin areas.
As fat reduction treatment, connective tissue massage has a limited long-term effect as it does not kill, it only drains the fat cells content. In the U.K., connective tissue massage is offered under following product names:
- LGP Endermologie ® (connective tissue massage)
- Vela Shape / Smooth ® (connective tissue massage + radiation)
- AWT ® (vibration massage + radiation)
The adipose tissue is a passive tissue with poor blood and lymph flow. Therefore there may be benefits in using these treatments in combination with a surgical liposuction or other fat reduction treatment.
3. Radiation – light or radio waves that heat, stimulate and break down
Various forms of radiation have long been used in medicine. Among the well-known applications include x-ray, prenatal examination and to blast kidney stones.
Using beams of light (optical), thermal (infrared) or radio frequency (RF), you can heat and stimulate increased blood and lymph flow and free fatty acids, slag and liquid in adipose tissue.
The substances that are released by these treatments are combusted and removed by the body. This will empty the fat tissue, causing an occasional volume reduction.
Among the more well-known radiation therapy for fat reduction includes:
- Vela Shape/Smooth (connective tissue massage+radiation)
- AWT® (vibration massage+radiation)
- iLipo® (radiation)
In addition to the above techniques, there is a relatively new technique called cavitations. The theory goes on to use radio waves to create such friction heat inside the fat cells so they damage and die. In this way, it seeks to achieve permanent fat reduction similar to freezing.
Frictional heating technology has received several different names and it becomes easily confused. The most common names include cavitation, Ultrasonic cavitation, ultrasonic impulses, interference, shock waves and shock waves therap. Among the well-known therapies include:
- Multi-Light Plus®
- Ultra Shape® V3
The cavitation technique is like other radiation methods, stimulating blood and lymph flow and release of fatty acids and most practitioners agree on that. How effective the method is to damage the fat cells and breaking them permanently, there are a bit of disagreement on.
4. Carbon Dioxide Injections – activates tissue and destroys fat cells
Carbon dioxide is a gas which is associated with many negative effects. The most well-known is the greenhouse effect.
Carbon dioxide can be injected into the body tissue to stimulate oxygenation and destroy fat cells. The treatment is called Carboxy Therapy.
What treatment should I choose?
Since there are a wide range of options, it is difficult to come to a conclusion and which treatment to choose. The first thing you should consider is the aim of treatment and how much money you want to spend.
- If the aim is to permanently reduce fat in a limited area, then fat freezing is a good but costly option.
- If you want to both tighten the skin and reduce a small amount of fat, a number of Carboxy Therapy sessions has a good effect and economy.
- If you make a lifestyle change and want to add to the effect of burning, tightening and smoothing of the skin in large areas, connective tissue massage and various radiation treatments are often good options.
To find out which treatment is right for you, we recommend that you inform yourself further about the various options, their specific advantages and disadvantages on each information page.
There are no guarantees with fat reduction
The development of non-surgical fat reduction goes fast. Exactly how effective different treatments are and which one is “best”, no one can really answer that. All manufacturers and practitioners are convinced of their own product excellence. Here are some simple tips:
The development of non-surgical fat reduction treatments goes fast. However, exactly how effective different treatments are and no one can really tell which one works the best.
- Choose a technology that has been around for a while. Methods with a bad effect tent to disappear relatively quickly.
- Select a clinic where the practitioner has documented competence, been around for a number of years in the industry and have experience of different techniques.
There are many interesting opportunities for fat reduction without surgery but unfortunately it is great variation in the degree of documentation that is among the methods. – Dermatologist Tore Nilsen
However, the newest, simplest and cheapest technology is often not the best option. If it sounds too good to be true, then it often is.
More options and options for fat reduction treatment
- Here you can find clinics that perform non-surgical fat reduction near you
- Share and learn from other’s opinions about fat reduction in our forum
- Ask questions and read answers about fat reduction in Ask the Expert
- Learn more about the option surgical fat reduction