Go Back   Cosmetic surgery | Forum about beauty treatments and cosmetic medicine > SECTIONS > Cosmetic plastic surgery > BREAST SURGERY > Breast reduction

Breast reduction Forum for femal breast reduction surgery

Old 11-04-2011, 18:10   #1
Becky
No Avatar

Default Sleeping on side after BR

Hi everyone!

When is it ok to sleep on my side after having BR surgery? Is it dangerous to do so? As long as it feels ok, it's ok to sleep on my side again? Thanks.

Old 11-04-2011, 18:15   #2
Ellie
No Avatar

Hi Becky

I slept on my left side the first night because I couldn't sleep on my back. The compression bra I was wearing was so tight so I knew my breasts weren't going to move. I didn't have any problems and it felt ok.

Old 11-04-2011, 18:25   #3
Unregistered
No Avatar

My surgeon told me to sleep on my back, flat or elevated, I was also adviced to not sleep on my side until about three weeks after surgery.

Old 11-04-2011, 18:38   #4
suee
No Avatar

I am a stomach sleeper and was able to sleep on my stomach as usual on the first night. Really!

Old 11-07-2011, 16:11   #5
Unregistered
No Avatar

I'd advise to sleep on your back as long as you can, because it helps with fluid drainage (hence, swelling) and your shape will be better and more even if don't put uneven pressure on the two sides during the active healing process.

Old 11-07-2011, 16:24   #6
Julie3
No Avatar

Hi,

I waited until my three month appointment, I was too scared to sleep on my sides. After three months my surgeon said it was ok, so I started to sleep on my sides, in the beginning it was a little uncomfortable, but I sleep so much better now. I think you should wait, but everyone is different. I'd say wait at least till after drainage, you should also get one of those pillows everyone is talking about, I'm sure it will help you sleep better and also breathe better.

Old 11-30-2011, 17:09   #7
Davies
No Avatar

Hi

I am now 6 weeks post op and started sleeping on my sides around week 4. I was sick and tired of sleeping on my back or in a recliner, so I asked my PS and she said to sleep however I can get comfortable. But I place a pillow over my chest in whichever position I am in, just to protect my breats.

Old 11-30-2011, 17:11   #8
Unregistered
No Avatar

i'm almost 8 weeks post and i slept on my stocmach for the first time 3 nights ago. i've tried doing that a few times before but it was too uncomfortable.

Old 12-02-2011, 19:58   #9
Unregistered
No Avatar

i am now 1 month post op and i still can't sleep on my side, a few nights ago i tried turning just a little, but then decided it wasn't worth the pain.

Old 12-29-2011, 15:00   #10
jilly_
No Avatar

Just make sure you do not have too many pillows under your head/neck, it pushes your neck in an awkward position and causes a stiff neck. I actually slept in a recliner for about 3 weeks, it helped with swelling and was more comfortable than trying to back sleep. You should try it as well!