Old 12-23-2011, 10:20   #1
Monika12
No Avatar

Question Quit Smoking

I have surgery scheduled on January 28th, its nearly a month left and I am still smoking. My absolute quit date is January 15th, but should I cancel my surgery if I smoke a couple of cigarettes before the 2 weeks before surgery?

Thank you in advance

Monika

Old 12-23-2011, 10:24   #2
momotwelve
No Avatar

Hi Monika,

I decided to quit 10 days before my surgery and I didn't smoke for the first 4 days after surgery. But after the surgery I started to smoke more than before, just out of boredom. I am almost 1 month post-op and I've had no problems so far. To be honest, I don't know what effects the smoking is suppose to have on surgery. My PS just told me it would be better to quit.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:38   #3
diddy
No Avatar

The effects; you will be at increased risk of wound healing problems from your previous smoking. However, stopping before surgery probably decreases this problem somewhat, but does not eliminate it. I really think you should contact your PS and decide what level of risk both of you are willing to accept. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54   #4
Unregistered
No Avatar

I know how difficult it is to quit smoking, been there, done that. I don't think you should have an absolute quit date. You should quit now, the sooner you do it, the better off you'll be (from my own experience)...

Old 12-23-2011, 11:02   #5
mariah
No Avatar

I decided to quit 1 month before surgery and I didn't smoke for another 3-4 weeks after surgery. Everything went perfectly fine, but a good friend of mine who also had tummy tuck surgery, began smoking after 10 days post-op. She ended up with poor healing and an open wound at the midline, which, then has to heal in secondarily. This is a big surgery and I am sure you want the best results possible. So quit now

I wish you all the best!

Mariah

Old 12-23-2011, 11:08   #6
Unregistered
No Avatar

I would advise you to discuss this with your PS. But I would not smoke even if I am two weeks post-op, because the scars are still immature. To heal nicely, I would wait at least 4-6 weeks post op. Also, you should use this opportunity to quit for good. That's what I did.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15   #7
sashadash
No Avatar

Yes, everyone should quit smoking before surgery and yes, it is very difficult. But does an ex-smoker have more or less of a chance of developing necrosis? Don't know, but I know plenty of people who had complications with the healing process and they've never smoked.

I would recommend you to follow your PS's instructions and try to quit asap

Old 04-30-2018, 05:15   #8
No Avatar

My friend will be having the same surgery that made me think why her doctor asks her if she could quit smoking 2 weeks before surgery. Nice Thread!