All about Thermage (Thermacool/Thermalift)
Thermage, also known as Thermacool or Thermalift is a technique used to tighten and rejuvenate the skin on the face or body.
The Thermage-technique was developed already in 1995 and has today become a reliable and appreciated method for skin tightening. More than 200 000 Thermage treatments have been done at clinics worldwide since its origin.
Thermage is a fairly simple treatment with hardly any noticeable side effects. It is used on several areas, usually on the face (Thermalift), but can also be used on the body.
The most popular treatment areas are to date forehead, around the eyes, cheeks, the nasolabial folds, chin, jaw line and neck, as well as arms, stomach, thighs and bottom.
Triggers the skin’s renewal mechanism
Thermage works by heating the deeper layers of the skin, Dermis, in controlled forms with the use of radio frequency.
Dermis consists mostly of a protein called collagen. As we age the skin’s ability to replace damaged collagen diminishes and more gaps and irregularities develop in the collagen mesh. This shortage of collagen in the deeper layers of the skin again leads to wrinkles and sagging.
When the radio frequency projected in a Thermage treatment reach 1-3 mm into the skin they’re transformed to heat. This heat produces a controlled “damage” in the deeper layers of the skin. The body’s natural healing system reacts to the damage through replacing and rebuilding the collagen structure which leads to a tightened skin surface.
The Thermacool technique was invented trough combining heating of the deeper skin layers and cooling the skin’s surface (to prevent heat damage) as a beauty treatment.
There are a variety of different systems used to achieve tightened skin through the use of radio frequency. Thermage (Themacool) is however usually seen as the original, and it is therefore the most proven and reliable system for this kind of treatment.
Treatment information for Thermage (Thermacool)
A Thermage treatment is a procedure that takes about 1-2 hours. With the exception of a temporary redness, side effects rarely occur and if they do they’re transient.
The treatment begins with the therapist sketching the area to be treated with a square pattern. Every square is to receive one or more pulses from the Thermage hand piece, the pulses last each about 2-7 seconds.
For a full face treatment the hand piece emits around 400-600 Thermage pulses. The number is variable depending on the area undergoing the treatment. Each time the treatment device pulses you will feel a brief cooling sensation, followed by a deep but brief heating sensation. The therapist is adjusting the effect of each pulse during your treatment. The Thermage treatment should be noticeable but not painful.
You can immediately return to your day-to-day activities after the treatment and wear make-up as you usually would.
What results can I expect from a Thermage treatment?
Thermage opposed to similar treatments deliver results after one single treatment, but can be repeated to enhance the effect. For some the results are visible immediately, for others they will become increasingly more noticeable over time for up to 6 months depending on their skin condition and aging process.
- The results of the treatment are always individual but Thermage generally suits patients between the ages of 30 to 60 with a certain amount of sagging skin the best.
- It is important to be aware of the fact that with facial treatments, as Thermalift there is a question of millimetres tightened compared to a surgical facelift where the tightening extent is in the centimetre scale.
- Is the treatment area the stomach, hips, thighs or arms there is possible to talk of centimetres. Thermage cannot, even here, replace plastic surgery in any way.
- The results achieved through Thermage treatments are ”permanent” in the meaning that they turn back time a number of years. The aging process will however continue, though from the new and improved starting point.
Prices for the Thermage prosedure (Thermacool)
The price for a single treatment of Thermage varies between £ 1,500 – £ 4,000 depending on clinic and what/which areas being treated. One local area of the face is estimated at around £ 1,500 – £ 2,000 while a full face treatment costs up to £ 3,000 – £ 3,500.
A Thermage treatment of the stomach is starting approximately at £ 3,500.
Thermage – additional information and options
Discuss Thermage (Thermacool/Thermalift), learn more or take the next step by using the links below.
- Find clinics that perform Thermage treatments
- Other options for wrinkle treatment and skin rejuvenation
- Ask a question or read answers about Thermage treatments in our Ask the Expert
- Discuss Thermage and treatments for sagging skin in our forum